Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pot Change on the Volume Control

I got a few parts in this week, including the matched set of JJ Tubes (EL84 and 12-AX7), the new potentiometer (for the volume control) and a 120pF Silver Mica Capacitor. I'm still waiting on a few switches to modify the JP1 capacitor out of the output circuit, and to add a "Bright" and a "Fat" sound modification.

Matched set of JJ Vacuum Tubes

Old pot.

Nice shiny new pot. 

Unhook this cable first.

Old pot on board on the left.

Both are 1Mohm potentiometers.


With the new OT, amp can sit upside down nicely. 

Had to add wires for the new pot. 
I installed the new potentiometer, but it was a huge hassle. The new pot's pins didn't fit inside the pot board, so I used some short wires to hook them together. I set up a lab at my house to work on this project, and just found out my soldering iron doesn't get hot enough to melt the solder on these components. I ended up borrowing my neighbor's gun for the time being, but I'll have to move back to the lab. The new pot is too thick to fit through the previous hole in the metal chassis, so I have to drill a larger one. I'll save this until I get the switches in, because I'll have to drill three holes for them anyways. 

The installation of the tubes I will save for later, so that I don't cause unneeded strain on the new tubes while I'm testing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment