Thursday, March 20, 2014

Tube Updates

Right before I left for break, I had installed the new JJ Tubes. Well, after a day, they did not work anymore. There was no sound output from the amp, and the tubes were not lighting up. So I pulled the tubes and put back in the stock tubes, which I knew were good. Still no lights from the tubes, and no sound output. I pulled all three fuses for the tubes and replaced them. Then I got lights in the tube filaments and sound output from the speaker. Success.

So then, I changed the tubes back to the new JJ Tubes. Well, I thought I did. You have to unscrew 9 screws to get to the tubes, then re-screw them all in to make sure the main board is stable. I did that, then realized that I had only changed the power tube to JJ, and taken the pre-amp old tube out, and put the old pre-amp tube back in. So I unscrewed everything and replaced the pre-amp tube with the new tube. Phew. Success.

I was tired of waiting on this Hong Kong seller to send me my DPDT switches for the "Fat" and "Bright" switch, so I drove to Radio Shack and bought some. They're small, so I need to drill new holes for them. I should have the new tone modifications in by the end of the weekend.

Also, I got the washer and bolt in for my potentiometer this week, so now the pot doesn't move around inside the chassis. I'll order some cool looking cover for it soon, or maybe 3D print one in the SPaRC lab.

I also drilled holes for and temporarily mounted my new DPDT switches. Looks fancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment